Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Baking Boo Hoo




I had a crazy craving for corn bread yesterday, it was cold and wet outside and with a pot of red beans and rice on the handy dandy crock pot it seemed like a perfect pairing. I had a boxed corn bread mix in the pantry. I mixed the Trader Joe's mix together with all of the called for ingredients. I was very delighted to smell the warm yummy-ness oozing from my kitchen and I was so pumped to have a piece because it has been a long while since I have had me some corn bread.... AND then disaster struck. My cornbread turned into semi charred mounds of not so fabulous. UGH I am the worst baker in recorded history. It seemed a waste to dump the not so bad cornbread so I kept and served those but I was ashamed to serve it...well not really cornbread is cornbread and when it's warm and buttered you can almost pretend that it is not charred. My little crumb bum bbD did not seem to mind either.


This cornbread fiasco has really snapped me back into reality, I am not the domestic goddess I thought I was if balancing, a career, a family, a happy marriage, a social life, and an overloaded TIVO if I can not cook a simple box recipe. I am now vowing to become a better baker.

How will I do it? Not quite sure maybe I will call it a project: fab-u-baking101.

I will bake once a week, bread, cake, pies, cookies, bars etc. until I master my baking skills and become a confident if not accomplished baker. I am not just talking boxed mixes I mean real baking. Up to my elbows in flour, from scratch baking. I have plenty of cookbooks and now its time to get crackin'. Stay tuned for more of my misadventures in baking to see if I get lazy or stick ( and I don't mean the pan, at least i hope it won't ) to it .

No comments:

Post a Comment