Thursday, February 5, 2009

Photo faux pas




I recently purchased a new camera a Nikon CoolPix. I basically needed a new digital camera to snap pics of the littles and for my blog. The one we had just kinda fell off. I wanted something smaller and chic. My gal pal Christine told me about some free photography classes on-line. I signed up last week and started working on what not to do when taking photos.

Flattening the world

Another consideration when you are taking photos is that you are turning a three-dimensional world into two dimensions. You are flattening everything the camera sees into one visual plane. In reality, a light pole may be 50 feet away behind your subject and therefore not seem to be a problem. On film, the two objects will look fused together. Figure 1-2 shows an example of what can happen if you don't pay attention to the faraway objects as well as the nearby clutter.


To prevent this from happening in your photos, make it a habit to look behind your subject and detect any objects that may be a problem. Move yourself or your subject to put the distracting background somewhere other than directly behind.



Posted above is the very first lesson. I was going through some pics recently and saw a huge photo composition mistake screaming out at me when I saw this picture of BBD. E took the snap and when you look at my baby in those funky little glasses it looks as if he has antennas growing out of his head. The whole look he is sporting the glasses, the orange shirt and the "antennas" is very alien babyish. I will be posting other photo mistakes as I learn more in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment